THE IMPORTANCE OF FOOD SAFETY
Think about the food we eat every day, whether they are fresh foods or processed foods. Are they really safe to consume?
Consumers are concerned about getting access to not only to nutritious foods but foods that are safe to consume. Food safety is important as it helps to protect consumer from the risk of food borne illnesses. It also helps to prevent consumers from risks of health –related conditions such as allergy and even death.
Accordingly, food producers must ensure the safety of their products and reduce the risks of consumer exposure to contaminated or unsafe foods.
Many consumer studies in different countries revealed that more than half of the consumers believed food safety is very important. The top three food groups that they are most concerned are raw meat and fish, followed by dairy milk and egg products and lastly fresh fruits and vegetables.
Consumers expect producers of trusted food brands to routinely conduct pre-shipment inspection, batch testing of food products for safety and supplier audits. Obtaining food certifications and maintaining certified management systems are equally important to assure quality and safety. Research also has shown that 88% of consumers are more likely to purchase food products with labels that clearly state they have met or exceeded applicable food safety standards.
So, what does this mean for food producers and suppliers? In order to meet consumers food safety expectations, producers and suppliers need to focus on three important aspects:
– firstly, apply the farm-to-fork approach to food safety;
– secondly, leverage on the value of third-party testing and certification,
– and finally, focus on prevention, not damage control.
Abd Karim Alias
E-tivity 1.2.1 Individual task: 1. Food safety is very important in food handling, delivery, preparation, cooking and storage of food. The benefits of food safety is that it prevents us from food poisoning, illness and consequently death. It saves the customer from food contamination emanating from chemical contamination, personal hygiene and environment hygiene. Food safety helps us have Standards practices and personal behavior on cleanliness and sanitation. It makes the food handler strive to have good personal presentation and grooming. It also enables us have a food management policy against pests and rodents. Food safety also has better principals on waste disposal, storage of foods and maintains good standard practices based on Government policies and Legislation.
1. a) Better personal hygiene, b) environmental hygiene; c) Better management and control policies on food safety and management.
2. a). Cleanliness and sanitation, b). Food safety management and control policies, c). Person in Charge who takes responsibility of all operations in a food production establishment, d). YOPI – Take extra caution on Children ( Younger than 5 years old), Old people, Pregnant Women and those with immunity complications, e). Observe the safe food holding temperatures for hot and cold foods.
3. a). farm to folk approach to food handling, b). testing and certification, c). focus more on value and not damage control.